Well over a decade as the self proclaimed ‘Charlotte’s Most Beloved’, John arrived in Charlotte in 1990 to take talk radio to a whole new level at the legendary WBT.   Hancock quickly became one of Charlotte’s most respected radio names, and most colorful, visible, and sometimes controversial on-air personalities. John’s awards include Creative Loafing’s ‘Best Local Radio Personality (readers and critics), and Best Talk Show Host. Charlotte Magazine named Hancock “Worst Whiner” for three straight years before retiring the title in his honor, and Charlotte’s Best Magazine honored John with the ‘Best Radio Show’ award. Hancock has also been honored by the National Marrow Donor Program (1-800-MARROW2) by presenting him with the Zumwalt Community Award.
Hancock, an Estes Park, Colorado native, got his start at a small, 500 watt radio station', KKEP, through a high school work study program and then mixed college with stops at KiiX- Ft. Collins, CO; KGMC-Denver, CO; KAAT- Denver, CO; plus KLIF and KZEW in Dallas, TX. In addition Hancock worked for concert promoter Feyline Presents as the dressing room security guard (which is pretty amazing since he’s a pencil armed blonde guy), for some of  music’s biggest hall of fame names, including the Stones, the Who, Clapton, Dylan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Leon Russell, Willie Nelson, Mountain, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, 3 Dog Night, and more. Through it all, Hancock managed to meet three Beatles, but never met John.
  Hancock joined KBCO/KADE in Boulder, Colorado in 1980, one of the original eclectic Album Oriented Rock (AOR) stations in the country. John shared a number of management positions and air times as part of the crew that took the stations from 23rd place in the Denver market to a solid Number One. From there it was on to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania for a stint as Program Director of the well respected Susquehanna Full Service AC, WARM. In late 1987, John joined longtime Jacksonville, Florida morning guy Dave Scott at WIVY (Y-103).
It was in Jacksonville that Hancock achieved a lifetime radio dream. He was fired! Knowing that you're nothing in radio until you achieve that, John headed off to the 50,000 watt blowtorch, WBT in Charlotte. It was Hancock, and then the signing of Rush that headed WBT into the world of NewsTalk. For 6 years, Hancock owned 9am to Noon. Then it was two and a half  years in the afternoon drive slot from 4 to 6pm, which also included a three year association with CBS-TV affiliate WBTV, where John did a daily morning commentary.

In 1999, Hancock headed back to his alternative rock radio roots by taking over mornings at 106.5 The End, in Charlotte. The mix of New Rock, Hot Talk, and Hancock became a strong addition to what is already one of the country's most respected new Rock/ Alternative stations.  That all ended when Clear Channel bought The End and moved their own syndicated team of Bob & Tom in for mornings. For Hancock, it was back to where he knows he should be...and stay...NewsTalk 1110, WBT. Hancock now owns the 6pm-9pm nighttime signal... from Maine to Miami, Canada to Cuba... "The Nightlife...It ain't no good life, But it's my life."

Hancock has enjoyed travel all over the world (Negril, Jamaica, the South of France, and his native Colorado are among his favorite places), loves music (Miles Davis, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, top his list of favorites), is a huge sports fan (Denver Broncos, St. Louis Cardinals, Carolina Panthers & soon the Bobcats!) and stays very active in the community with Kid's First of the Carolinas, Habitat for Humanity, and the Community Marrow Donor Program.  
John married late (42)  to his wife Susan and lives in Charlotte, NC with her two sons, Philip and Matthew,  and their two Westies, Nutmeg and Clapton

Hancock also has a son, Dustin, in Colorado who with his wife Shannon made John a proud grandfather with their daughter, Katrina & son Clint.

Grampa John:  "Aint it funny how time slips away"